What To Do If You Found A Lost Dog
If you have found a lost or stray dog, please follow the steps listed below to help reunite them with their beloved owner! Thank you for keeping them safe and secure in the meantime.
- Secure the pet in a safe location. Assess for any medical emergencies. If the animal needs emergency assistance, please call our Animal Protection Team at (423) 305-6500 x1.
- If the found pet is friendly, and in good shape, give the MAC Admissions Team a call at (423) 305-6500 x3 and follow the steps below.
- Post the found pet on websites such as www.craigslist.org, www.pawboost.com, www.fidofinder.com, www.petharbor.com and www.petcolovelost.org
- Post the found pet on community boards, Facebook pages/groups, etc.
- Make flyers and post around your neighborhood. Consider going door to door to see if it belongs to a neighbor!
- Take the pet to a local veterinarian (or MAC) to scan for a microchip or see if they recognize the animal as a patient.
- Stay near the area of where you found the pet! Pets often don’t go far when they are away from their homes.
- File a ‘Found Pet’ report with the MAC Admissions Team by calling (423) 305-6500 x3. If you are able to keep the animal, or have interest in adopting once the stray period has passed, you will be asked to become a ‘Finder Minder’.
- If you are within the City limits of Chattanooga, Red Bank or Lakesite bring the animal to MAC. This should be your last option. Animals have a much better chance of being reunited with their owner outside of a shelter. If you are outside our service area, please visit and check with your local shelter.
McKamey Animal Center
4500 N. Access Rd.
Chattanooga, TN 37415
McKamey Animal Center was founded in 2008, serving the pets and people of the cities of Chattanooga, Red Bank and Lakesite, Tennessee. MAC is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit charitable organization.